- 200 g Cucumber, skin on, cut in to wedges
- 200 g Pineapple, seeded, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 200 g Green guava, seeded, cut in to ½ inch cubes
- 200 g Starfuit, cut in to ½ inch cubes
- 200 g Green apple, cut in to ½ inch cubes
- 250 g Hoisin sauce, (Chef Kasdi Proposes the brand of Lee Kum Kee)
- 150 g Chili sauce, Heinz or Maggi
- 3 nos Birds eye chili, crushed
- 60 g Palm sugar, grated
- 30 gm Shrimp paste, roasted – Optional
- 3 tbsp Sesame seed, roasted
- 3 tbsp Peanut, roasted and coarsely ground
- Cut all the fruits and place in a fridge to cool and stay crisp.
- In a large mixing bowl mix together the hoisin sauce, chili sauce, bird eye chili and palm sugar.
- Use the back of a large spoon and stir until the palm sugar and shrimp paste is dissolved. (Shrimp Paste is Optional)
- Just before serving add the fruit, sesame seeds, peanuts and mix well.
- Correct seasoning to taste.
It is important that the final mixing is completed just before serving the salad as the sauces will “cook” the fruit and give it an appearance of being soft and soggy spoiling the visual effect of having nice fresh and crispy fruits. Biting into crispy fruits mixed with the wonderful sauce will give your guests a wonderful mixture of textures and taste sensations. You can make this salad with any mixtures of your favorite fruits including, grapefruit, orange or pomello segments. You can serve the salad by itself or use it as a side garnish presented on a large different shaped white plate accompanying grilled fish fillets or a chicken breast. Chef Kasdi has styled his fruit salad with Asian crackers and chervil sprigs.