- 1 1/2 cups Granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons Cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons All purpose flour
- 2 rm Salt
- 1 1/2 cups Hot water
- 3 Egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 1 level tsp Grated lemon peel
- 1/3 cup Fresh lemon juice
- 1 Baked pie pastry, 9-inch
- 3 Egg whites
- 1 tsp Lemon juice, optional
- 6 tablespoons Granulated sugar
- In a medium saucepan, combine 1 1/2 cups sugar, the cornstarch, flour, and salt; whisk to blend well.
- Gradually stir in the hot water.
- Place over a medium heat and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Reduce the heat to a low flame; continue cooking by stirring for 8 minutes.
- Stir about 1/3 cup of the hot mixture into the slightly beaten egg yolks, then return to the hot mixture in the saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, and cook for 4 minutes longer.
- Add the butter and lemon peel. Slowly stir in 1/3 cup lemon juice.
- Pour into baked and cooled pie shell.
- Beat the egg whites with 1 teaspoon lemon juice (if used) to soft peaks.
- Gradually add the 6 tablespoons of sugar, beating until stiff peaks are formed and the sugar has dissolved.
- Spread the meringue over the hot filling to make your choice of design, covering completely.
- Bake at 350° for 12 to 15 minutes, until golden brown.
- Cool pie completely before serving.
The enclosed recipe is donated by Chef Mariam, the Pastry Chef for the Eastern & Oriental Hotel, Penang and the photo is taken by our resident Blog Reporter Mazeta Walters.