- 20gr Vanilla pods
- 160gr Eggs
- 80gr Sugar
- 240gr Egg whites
- 120gr Sugar
- 200gr Hazelnut fine powder
- 100gr Cake flour
- 20gr Vanilla compound
- 20gr Lemon rind/skin
- 20gr Icing sugar
- 50gr Diced Hazelnuts
- Scrape the vanilla out of the pods and place it in a metal bowl, add the egg yolks and sugar. Whip together until it becomes thick and a smooth and creamy texture.
- In another bowl, whip the egg whites and sugar together until they are very light and fluffy.
- Mix all the ingredients together in one bowl.
- Sieve the flour and the hazelnut fine powder through a fine strainer, add the vanilla compound and the lemon skin.
- Slowly add this powder mixture to the mixed liquid ingredients slowly bit by bit.
- The mixture should be “folded” in and not mixed roughly or whipped.
- Divide into 20 small moulds that have been lightly brushed with melted butter.
- Bake in an over for 25-30 minutes at 165c.
After brushing the moulds let them sit for a while for the butter inside the moulds to get dry before adding the mixture. You should get about 20 small cakes from this mixture, the icing sugar and diced hazelnuts at the end of the recipe should be used to decorate the plates the cakes are being served on.
*This recipe and picture is contributed by Josef Bloeth, Executive Pastry chef who is currently attached to LSG sky chefs in Seoul, Korea. Visit his website here.