- 285gm/ 10oz uncooked prawns, peeled tail on
- ¾ cup All purpose flour
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- A pinch Paprika powder
- 1 cup Beer—optional, you can change to milk/water
- Oil for deep frying
- Lime wedges
- Peel the prawns leaving the tail intact.
- In a bowl, sieve the flour, baking powder, salt and paprika powder mixing well.
- Then gently add the beer/water/milk, mix well until all is dissolved & allow the mixture to rest for 15 minutes in a chiller.
- Heat the oil in an electric fryer or wok at 380°F.
- Dip the prawns in the batter then fry them batch by batch until they are golden brown.
- Remove from the oil & drain them dry on paper towels.
- Best served hot with cocktail sauce, lime or any dip you desire.
It is very important you ensure that the prawns after frying dry off properly on a paper kitchen towel to ensure that all the extra oil is taken away from the dish. As with any fried items the oil must be hot and clean to ensure the dish does not absorb too much oil. Chef Kasdi has garnished his prawns with finely chopped chives and a large lime wedge.