- 1/4 cup Olive oil
- 2 onions Slivered
- 3 bell peppers Cut into one inch squares(try different colors)
- 1 eggplant
- 2 zucchini Cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 4 cloves garlic Minced or crushed
- 2 pounds tomatoes Chopped
- 1 tablespoon Minced fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup Chopped fresh basil
Preparation Time: 25 minutes
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy soup pot on a medium heat. Cut the onions and add to the oil.
- While the onions are cooking, chop the bell peppers and add them to the pot, stirring well.
- Cut the zucchini into cubes and stir it in.
- Chop the garlic and add to the vegetables, stirring well.
- Chop the tomatoes and add them.
- Mince the thyme and add it along with salt and pepper to taste. Stir well and cook for two minutes.
- Cut the eggplant lengthwise, season with salt pepper and olive oil.
- Put inside an oven; roast for 10-15 minute depending on the size until they are cooked but not too soft.
- Scoop out the eggplant and leave the skin. Cut the eggplant into ½ inch cubes and add to the cooking mixture in the pot.
- Turn down the heat and cover the pot. Simmer until everything is soft and well blended – about 40 minutes.
- Stir in the basil and remove from the heat.
- Then spoon the ratatouille into the eggplant sprinkle with parmesan and baby buffalo mozzarella.
- Ready to serve.
Chef Bob from Kanpei has made a lovely dish for our vegetarian lovers that can be very easily made at home by anyone and everyone. It is fresh, healthy and looks just great. Care has to be taken when making this dish as all the different kinds of vegetables take different times to cook. For example the eggplant takes the least time so it should be added at the very last moment to avoid it overcooking.